Anniversary

Thursday, October 20, 2011

How to Be a Grown Up, Lesson One

So, sorry for the lack of posts.  I was on a roll there for a while, but then I had some crazy stuff happen in my personal life that threw me for a bit of a loop.  I kind of stuck my head in the sand and didn't feel like doing much of anything.  But I've decided that when life hands you lemons, sometimes you've just got to suck it up and move on.  Crying about the lemons forever isn't going to do anything, and sometimes you just don't feel like drinking lemonade, darn it.  So instead, you do nothing, but you must move on.  Which is what I'm doing.

Ben and I live like we are in a frat house.  Two lazy people who never saw a sofa we couldn't spend all day on=match made in heaven.  We live like pigs, and neither of us really minds or judges each other.  I hate cleaning with a passion, but I also hate having a dirty house.  Since I don't have magical powers or a million dollars for a maid, and since this is a problem I will face for the rest of my life, I've decided to do something about my cleaning habits, (or lack thereof.)  Usually, I wait until the house absolutely must be cleaned and then I have to drag myself to deep clean every room, and do 500 loads of laundry, which takes all day.  This ain't workin' for me anymore.  So I've decided to make cleaning a habit.  I've printed out the following list that I will hang on the fridge as a daily reminder, and every day I'm going to take 15 minutes to do a daily chore.  Hopefully, this will keep the house nice and squeaky clean all the time, and I will be one of those people.  Ya know, those people with the perpetually clean house that you hate.  Yup, that's my goal.



Cleaning Schedule

Monday- vacuum each room and stairs, occasionally do vents, curtains, and window crevices

Tuesday- dust and sweep, occasionally polish furniture

Wednesday- master bathroom: toilet, counter, mirror, shower, floors

Thursday- guest bathrooms: toilets, counters, mirrors, showers, floors

Friday- kitchen: clean out fridge, mop, clean counter tops

Daily- make bed, put away clutter, laundry, load/unload dishwasher


Totally doable, right?  I mean, I could do one load of laundry a day, no sweat!  And then most days, there won't be any laundry to do!  And yes, I don't make my bed every morning...yet.  I can do this people!  I'm pretty excited.  Next on my cleaning makeover to do list is to find natural cleaning products; usually the chemicals from various house cleaners majorly upset my allergies.  There's got to be a better way, and I'm going to find it!  Suggestions?  Want to join me in the daily cleaning challenge?  Let's do it!


1 comment:

  1. you can do it. & i don't make my bed every morning either. as matt says, "what's the point, we are going to get back in it!" :) can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete