Anniversary

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Best Weekend Ever; Part Two: Sunday

After such an awesome day Saturday, Ashley and I were ready for more shopping on Sunday!  Since we went to bed so early, we got up with the gorgeous La Grange sunrise, and headed back to Warrenton for more shopping!  As we were walking in from the Parking Lot near Zapp Hall, I noticed a few ladies from HGTV walking in front of us.  We told them about how we both won iPods on Saturday, and how fun it was to meet Emily Henderson, and I asked them if they had anything else special planned for today.  They told us that no, nothing special, just free water and hanging out at their tent, and then they asked if we had heard about the new Junk Gypsy TV show.  Of course we had, so they asked us if we were fans.  Ashley ratted me out and told them that I was a huge fan, and so they told us they would be filming for the show that day and would need some fans to interview.  We promised to come back at 11:00 to see if we could make the cut!

We were so early on Sunday, many of the vendors weren't even open yet!  If you ever come out to Antiques Week on a Sunday, don't bother coming out until at least 9:00, maybe even 10:00.  But we scoped out those that were open, and I found a few small wire birdcages that I thought might could work for a conceptual doll house.  I decided to keep shopping and come back that evening if I didn't find anything else.  We walked up the side of the road we missed on Saturday, and headed back to the HGTV tent around 11:00.  Sure enough, they were filming the Junk Gypsies, and passers-by were getting shooed away so they wouldn't interfere with the sound or shot.  Craziness!  I explained to the staffer guarding the tent that we were told we were needed for fan interviews, so I got to go in the tent and wait my turn to be on camera!  (No amount of persuading was going to convince Ashley to get interviewed!)  I started getting nervous...I'd already been sweating and shopping for a few hours, and when picking out my outfit that morning, I had no clue I could potentially end up on national television.  It was flea market couture at it's finest, and I was not going to have the luxury of a hair or make up touch up.  YIKES!  Seriously, I'm scared y'all, it was rough!  So then they called me up, and it was my turn!  First, I had to get "miked", by the audio guy, Corey, soon to be my BFF for the weekend.  For those of you who don't know, getting "miked" includes a guy fishing a wire through your shirt and then into your jeans, and taping a device inside the front of your shirt.  Ya know, just in case you ever find yourself being filmed by a Hollywood camera crew, you won't be caught off guard like me.


So awkward...

There was surprisingly little prep for this.  They didn't give me any guidance on how to answer or what to say, the woman standing next to the camera just told me to look at her and answer honestly.  The whole crew was surprised when I asked if I needed to rephrase the question in my answer...how did I know that?  What can I say, I watch a lot of TV!  She just told me to say "the Junk Gypsies" instead of "they".  Oh, that makes sense.  And then Corey the audio dude told me not to use my hands too much, because my bracelets could be too loud in the mic.  Awesome.  Suddenly I felt like Ricky Bobby and had no clue what to do with my hands, and I started to feel really awkward.  I totally screwed up the first question.  But then something magical happened, and my brain shut off, and I don't remember anything they asked, or what I said.  But when I was done, they told me I did really awesome and jokingly said they wanted to keep me around all day.  Ashley even said I did good!  But honestly, I really don't know what I said.  I guess we will have to watch and see!  :)  So I signed a release, got some more HGTV swag and we went on our merry way! 

Yes, I have on pants, and no, you can't see them under my giant (Junk Gypsy) tank.  Weird.


We kept running into the camera crew throughout the day.  "You again!"  It was fun!  :)  We found some awesome crates for Ashley; she got a great deal and she is going to make an amazing shelving unit out of them, and I went back to get one of the wire birdcages for my dollhouse challenge.  I also found some random furniture stuff for the dollhouse.  At 6:00, we went to a blogger party hosted by Theresa from Garden Antqs Vintage, (check her out right next to Zapp!), and we met some really sweet vendors that had some great and inspiring advice for us and our dream of an Antiques Week booth.  Then we hung out with the camera crew and Archie from Junk Gypsy a little, and there were more Ricky Bobby jokes from me after Corey told me he'd been doing this for years and I really did give a great interview.  Sweet!  I'm a natural y'all!  :)  After dinner and more Zapp Hall/Bubble Lounge action, we headed back to our hotel home, ready for a shower and a long night of rest.  Monday was the Shabby Chic luncheon and we wanted to get plenty of beauty rest!
 

1 comment: