Anniversary

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Slap Yo Momma Cornbread

It's no secret that I love cornbread.  There's nothing, I mean NOTHING better than a warm slice of sweet cornbread with melted butter on top.  My friends in high school would tease me when that Alan Jackson song ("where I come from, it's cornbread and chicken...") would come on.  Apparently my mom made it a lot, but that's the way it should be!  I love all kinds of cornbread: cheesy cornbread, jalapeno cornbread, whole kernel cornbread...you get the picture.  A few weeks ago, I had a piece of cornbread that was so good, words cannot describe it.  And now I have the secret recipe, and I'm going to share it with you.

Florida's Kitchen is a restaurant in Livingston, if you can call it a restaurant.  It's tucked away in the woods, (you would never find it if you didn't know where to look,) and it doesn't look like your typical restaurant.  A building/trailer combo, with atmosphere consisting of card tables, mismatched folding chairs, uneven floors, and strange angel statues of every shape, size and color.  The food is best described as "soul food":barbecued ribs, brisket, hushpuppies, fried catfish, fresh cooked vegetables, home made cakes and pies, giant glasses of iced tea...you get the picture.  A salad at Florida's has ribs and brisket on it.  This isn't dainty food, and it is so dang good.  The last time Ben and I went there, I ordered "Sly's Bowl", a bowl of pinto beans topped with shredded brisket tips.  (Don't judge, it's delish!)  Of course I ordered cornbread on the side.  Our fast talking waitress asked me if I wanted to try the "cheesy jalapeno crawfish cornbread" instead.  UM, YES!  Guys, it was the best cornbread I've ever had.  EVER.  SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!  After the first bite, I thought I heard the soul food angels singing.  (Then I remembed it was just the southern gospel playing on the boom box in the corner!)  I raved to the waitress about it, and she told me she would let the cook know that I liked it, and maybe she would consider adding it to the permanent menu.  My heart broke...the cheesy jalapeno cornbread was just a test recipe!  I vowed to search high and low until I found the recipe, and ladies and gentlemen, I have it.  The actual recipe from Florida's cook herself.  Based on how dang good the food is at Florida's, I'm guessing the cooks don't really share recipes often, so I won't reveal my secret source.  But I never promised I wouldn't share the recipe!  Without further ado, here is the recipe, written exactly how it was given to me, on a tiny scrap of paper.

Crawfish Cornbread
2-3 cans evaporated milk
1 package crawfish, frozen, thawed
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1 package shredded cheese
3-4 boxes Jiffy Cornbread
1 stick butter
3-4 eggs
jalapenos in the jar, chopped
1/2 can whole kernel corn

Sautee peppers, onion, crawfish, and butter.  Season.  Mix all ingredients.  Bake 350 degrees until done.


Yes, I know, that is the vaguest recipe ever written down.  I plan on cutting this in half some way, probably using two boxes of Jiffy, one can evaporated milk, and two eggs...but don't take my word for it, because I haven't tried it yet!  Use your own judgement.  Now, I'm off to make these yummy delights!  (PS-Florida's used a muffin tin, and I suggest you do too!)


1 comment:

  1. Such a cute post! It brought back childhood memories. My dad always called it Oklahoma Wedding Cake. We ate lots of it when I was young. I can remember my dad cutting it into chunks and pouring milk over it, and eating it after dinner.... just like it was dessert, or something. I loved it.

    I am looking forward to meeting you next week at the luncheon.

    Christi

    ReplyDelete