Anniversary

Monday, November 14, 2011

Meatless Monday

I'm a subscriber to Gwyneth Paltrow's weekly newsletter, GOOP.  (Can anyone tell me why it's called GOOP?  What the heck does that mean?)  Anyways, Gwyn seems to know what's happening, and it's fun to read her newsletter even though it seldom relates to my life at all.  For example, there was not a single thing her in holiday gift guide that I could either A)-afford to give or B)-could give to a loved one and keep a straight face.  (Patches that can be sewn into shirts that say "Be Optimistic" were suggested as an awesome gift for your husband!?)  But it's fun to read the musings of one of the richest women in Hollywood, (or should I say London?) and a girl can dream right?  However, it was from GOOP that I learned about Meatless Mondays, and I must say, I'm intrigued.

Did you know that it is estimated that one-fifth of man-made greenhouse gas emissions are generated by the meat industry?  (That's more than transportation!)  And that water needs for livestock are tremendous-1,800 to 2,500 gallons of water per single pound of beef!  Or that high intake of red and processed meat increases the risk of type 2 diabetes?  Or that studies show that high intake of fresh fruits and vegetables may reduce cancer risks?  These are just some of the reasons to consider going meatless on Mondays.  (Read more here.)  If people across the globe chose to eat meatless meals once a week, we can hopefully see less impact from the meet industry on our environment, as well as on our health. 

So yeah, I'm giving it a shot.  And no, I'm not turning PETA on you-I still respect the tradition and sport of hunting, and I still love a juicy burger.  If you don't like that, please send you complaints to thatsmyopinion@getoverit.com. But I don't see why going meat free just once a week would hurt. I planned a lovely dinner tonight of butternut squash ravioli and a salad.  However, while eating leftover Canadian Bacon pizza for lunch I realized I kind of screwed that up.  But I'm starting small I guess!  I'm probably the only person in Texas who's even heard of Meat Free Mondays, more or less considering subscribing to it.  But I consider my responsibility for my husband's health a lot when planning our meals, and while he's a man who never saw a steak he didn't like, that's clearly not what's best for him all the time.  And I've been thinking a lot more lately about what I can do in my own small way to help our environment.  What do you think, am I crazy?  Or will you go meatless tonight too?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you are crazy at all. It is way less expensive to go meatless here and there too. We had meat tonight, but usually have one or two meatless dinners a week. Can't wait to see what fun recipes you try in the process!

    ReplyDelete