Anniversary

Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm going back to college!

Yoga college, that is!

Okay, let me explain. I've enrolled in classes at a Bikram Yoga College of India. Bikram is a Yogi Master who lives in LA and teaches yoga instructors and movie stars his specific method of yoga, so that those people may open his "Yoga Colleges" around the world and make him more rich and famous. The classes include a series of 26 poses performed over a period of 90 minutes in a room that is heated to a temperature of 105 degrees. Yes, it is long, and yes, it is hot. Like, you can see sweat dripping off me, hot. The purpose of the heat is to warm your muscles to reduce injury and promote deeper stretching, as well as detoxification through obscene amounts of sweat. As crazy as it sounds, I'm loving it! The first class I felt like I couldn't breathe after about an hour, but after the second class, I felt amazing...like I had just had a massage. It's such a luxury to relax and focus on stretching and improving my body for a whole hour and a half. When was the last time I did that? Um, never. There were a lot of people in the classes; men and women of all shapes and sizes. I'm not going to make fun of them though, because I know I looked totally gross as well. I'm just going to say...it seems the requirement for men to attend class is they must be very hairy and not modest at all. You get the picture! It doesn't bother me though. I admire their dedication, and we each bring a towel to cover our yoga mat with, so there is no intermingling of sweat drippage.

The truth is, I didn't seek out this place because of Bikram or even the hot room, but because I've always enjoyed yoga and this was the only stand alone yoga studio in town. I've been pleasantly surprised though, and I have a pass to attend 10 more classes in the next month. I'll keep you posted!

As they say in yoga, namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment