Anniversary

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nobody here but us servantless American cooks...

It's only Tuesday? Man...yesterday was long! Overtime will do that. Today has turned out to be an interesting day. I saw a girl in the break room this morning put 7 pumps of concentrated French Vanilla Coffeemate in her mug, then powdered coffee creamer, then sugar, then Sweet-N-Low, then a few drops of coffee. EWWWW! Then later on one of my earrings fell off and into the toilet. (I flushed it.) I wonder what other interesting things will happen today?

I hope everyone had a great Easter...we did! After church we went home and I cooked allllll afternoon. I decided to finally bust out "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and try a recipe or two. I've been dying to do it ever since I bought it with wedding gift cards a few months ago, but I just haven't had the time! Of course, Ben and I were doing our best Julia Child impersonations all day. "Bon appetite!" To bring over to Missy and Travis' for dinner, I decided to make puree de pommes de terre a l'ail and reinde de saba avec glacage au chocolat. Sounds impressive, huh? Translates to "garlic mashed potatoes" and "chocolate almond cake with chocolate buttercream". The mashed potato recipe actually called for two entire heads of garlic! The slow, laborious cooking of the cloves softens the flavor, so it's not as obsene as it sounds. The potatoes were good, but not good enough to make all the extra effort worth it. I'll probably stick to regular mashed potatoes from now on. However, the garlic sauce that was mixed in would probably be good on something else...maybe chicken? The chocolate cake was really yummy! I did have a few Julia-esque goofs-1)When I was supposed to sift in 1/4 of the flour, I wasn't paying attention and sifted it all in at once. 2)When I tried to remove the cake from the pan, it came out in two chunks. I glued it back together with frosting. 3)I used a 9 inch pan instead of an 8 inch pan and didn't think about adjusting my baking time, so it came out a little dryer than it is supposed to be. None the less, it turned out pretty good, and I will definitely try again! Practice makes perfect!



While I'm blogging about cooking from Julia Child-I have to suggest the movie "Julie and Julia". We Netflixed it a few weeks ago and it was pretty good! And I think I found the original blog the book/movie is based on! Cool!

The Julie/Julia Project.

xoxo!

1 comment:

  1. I just watched that movie last night! How fun to peruse through the real blog! Thanks for finding it and sharing.

    ReplyDelete